Additional Information for Parents & Students about School during COVID
First school day of the 2020-2021 school year is Tuesday, September 8! That's right! School starts on Tuesday, September 8. Be sure you log into your classes ON TIME via Canvas according to the First Week of School schedule linked to the button below. BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL, watch this VIDEO to learn how to access Canvas and join your classes on Day 1.
For Freshman . . . A Virtual Freshman OrientationTo our newest Cardinals, welcome! We wish we could start the year seeing you in person, but we're going to make the best of it anyway. Click here to view our Virtual Freshman Orientation, which includes a campus tour, a "meet and greet" with teachers, information about clubs and sports, information from counselors about graduation requirements, and a message from administration about high school expectations and how to maximize your success in high school.
Last Spring, our goal was to make the best of an unexpected global health crisis and salvage the remainder of the school year while not adding to the challenges of an already difficult situation. However, Fall planning is significantly different. This Fall, we need to "get back to school" and resume grade level instruction for all students in every way possible. The challenge we face is that our learning platform has been temporarily shifted to remote vs. in-person. It will take our best efforts from staff, students, and parents to ensure that we continue to foster high achievement and maintain high expectations.
- We will be providing a combination of synchronous (live) and asynchronous (independent) instruction.
- Students will be required to attend online classes with their teachers and classmates and attendance will be taken daily.
- New instruction will occur daily and assessments will count toward a student's grade, GPA, and credits earned.
- Each teacher will have posted and specified Office Hours to provide additional support to students and families.
- We will continue to host a daily Homework Center for all students to receive additional assistance and tutoring.
- Our IT Department has been working all summer with Canvas, our online learning platform, to resolve some technical issues experienced in the Spring due to the sudden increase in student and teacher use.
- We also understand the importance and impact of missing out on the social aspects of school. We will be working with staff and student leaders to create social opportunities for all students to participate in including regular meetings for all student clubs and groups.
- We know that when teachers and students are able to interact face-to-face in the school buildings, we can create the best learning outcomes possible. That being said, we are still in a global health crisis and need to focus first on the safety of all of our students, staff, and families. We're all in this together.
For Parents . . . Teachers and administrators will also be communicating with you via email, so be sure to check your email as well. Autodialer calls will also be going out periodically with basic reminders, additional information, etc., and our principal Mr. Hartley is will also be sending out periodic updates to parents & students (see bottom of page for links).Once the school year has begun, you will be able to check your student's progress through Teacher Ease.
If you need to update or add your email to your Skyward account so that you can access Teacher Ease, or if you need to update your primary telephone number to receive autodialer messages, etc., please email our registrar, Sabine Fintak, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information: your name, the information you wish to update, the names of all your students who attend FPHS, and each of their birthdates. Please include a phone number where you can be reached as well, in case Ms. Fintak has questions or need additional information.
New student enrollmentNew student enrollment for the 2020-2021 school year is currently open. If your student is currently enrolled at FPHS and you reside out of district, be sure to submit your transfer request for this year, if you haven't already. Click here to access our district's online enrollment and transfer request forms. If you have enrollment or transfer questions, please email our guidance secretary, Lori Brist, at email@example.com. If you are enrolling a new student, please complete the online enrollment forms. Once those have been received at the school, we will request records from previous schools, and you will receive a call from our guidance secretary to schedule a meeting with your student's counselor.